June 16, 2018
The 2018 Mid-Maryland Celtic Festival is being dedicated to honor and support our nation’s Veterans. to that end we have partnered with
Hero Dogs, Inc., a Maryland 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation, improves quality of life for our nation’s heroes by raising, training, and placing service dogs and other highly skilled canines, free of charge with lifetime support of the partnerships
Highlights from the 2017 Mid-Maryland Celtic Festival
Best Clan Tent: Clan Campbell
– Continuous music on three stages (Pub stage, Acoustic Stage and Traditional Stage) and dancing on the fourth.
– There were no beer lines thanks to the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick as servers!
– Over 140 individual volunteers including several Girl Scout Troops, the Frederick Rugby team, the Mount Airy Civil Air Patrol, and Silver Oak Academy plus many volunteers from last year!
–NEW! Festival Square! An open area near Clan and Vendor Village for Pipe Band Performances and hands-on rugby games with the Frederick Rugby Club!
– NEW! Cheers for Beers! Informal Pipe Band competitions where judging was not only on the technical and musical aspects, but the cheers from the audience. The Winner—McMillan Pipe Bands—received a festival beer glass with coupons for free beers (or other drinks).
Thank you to judges Pipe Majors Robert Mitchell and Robert Meade.
– NEW! Beer Tasting! Tasting of five beers with proceeds to the Platoon 22.
– The expanded children’s area featured child-sized Highland Games by Scot-4-Tots, an inflatable obstacle course, crafts including Mothers Day cards, face painting, children’s book reading, and children’s participatory canceling!
– The most Celtic Authors since the start of the Author tent in 2014!
– The most Living History participants including “The Scythe Man” Alfonzo Diaz who drew a large crowd to his traditional mowing demonstrations!
– Eight Veterans groups carried on the festival’s traditional theme of honoring veterans and service members.
– Recycling program continued in partnership with Waste Not! Carroll
– Whisky tastings—still a most popular event!
– 2nd Annual MMCF Inaugural Shortbread Competition with 25 entrants—four times last year!
Traditional Category Creative Category
1st Gwendolyn Y. 1st Micha W.
2nd Micha W. 2nd Dana C.
3rd Maryann C. 3rd Missy M.
– Quilts of Valor® Foundation Raffle of Outlander-Inspired Quilt (Clan McKenzie tartan) with proceeds to Platoon 22 Winner: Alex W.
– St. Andrew’s Society of Mid-Maryland Raffle Baskets
– Scottish Outlander-themed Basket with many items including a Tipsy Laird” Pound Cake (Orange whisky cake) by Farmhouse Poundcakes Winner: Michele R.
– Scottish Basket Winner: Dawn S.
– California Tortilla-sponsored basket with hot sauces and other goodies: Woodie
Best of all—thousands of smiling faces despite the weather!!!!