June 16, 2018
The 2018 Mid-Maryland Celtic Festival is being dedicated to honor and support our nation’s Veterans. To that end we have partnered with
Hero Dogs, Inc., a Maryland 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation, improves quality of life for our nation’s heroes by raising, training, and placing service dogs and other highly skilled canines, free of charge with lifetime support of the partnerships
Where can I meet Hero Dogs and show my support?
Hero Dogs will be located in the Veterans Area just down the small hill heading to the Lowland where the Highland Athletic Games take place.
You will also see Hero Dogs:
– Opening Ceremony 12noon on the Athletic Games Field:
– Afternoon Tea Benefitting Hero Dogs 3:30-4:30pm in the VIP Hall. BUT only if you have a separate ticket. Tickets are limited to 24; first-come-first-served. Buy tickets here: https://midmarylandcelticfestival.com/afternoon-tea-to-benefit-hero-dogs/
– Beer Tasting Benefitting Hero Dogs At the beer tasting tent. This is a free tasting; however a donation is suggested.
– Donation Buckets Support Hero Dog and their mission to provide serviced dogs to America’s heroes! Look for donation buckets throughout the festival grounds.
– Dog Lovers Quilt and Matching Dog Bed A raffle of a dog-themed raffle quilt and dog bed will be benefit Hero Dogs. Buy tickets at the Hero Dogs area, the Quilts of Valor booth, or the festival’s host tent just inside the Main admission gate.
– Out and About Look for Hero Dogs and their people throughout the day as they are ‘out and about’ enjoying festival day.
The following veteran and non-profits organizations support our festival through volunteer efforts, demonstrations, and other activities to benefit the festival and its attendees.
A Quilt of Valor® is a personal award, like a military or civilian commendation, a gesture of gratitude from a grateful nation that says “Thank you for your service, your sacrifice, and welcome home.” A Quilt of Valor is a lifetime award.
The mission of the Quilts of Valor® Foundation is to cover service members and veterans touched by war with comforting and healing Quilts of Valor.
Les, The Leatherneck Kilted Quilter!
About 3 years ago Les P., a Marine Vietnam Combat Veteran, was on a shopping trip with his wife, Elaine, who wanted to buy a longarm quilting machine. He discovered that the longarm was just another “power tool.” The rest is history.
Since then he has quilted over 600 quilts; the majority of which are Quilts of Valor.
To request a Quilt of Valor, please visit the website and click on the “Request a QOV” button. http://QOVF.org/
– Mobile Vet Center Unit, Martinsburg, WV. The purpose of our Vet Centers is to provide counseling services to our military men and women; those which are readjusting back to civilian life, and those who suffer from PTSD, military sexual trauma, substance abuse, suicidal ideation, and other conditions. The Martinsburg Vet Center also provides family and marriage counseling as well, all at no cost. The Mobile Vet Center is an extension of the brick and mortar Vet Center, and is staffed with a technician and counselor.
Mobile Vet Center
The SAMS Post of the Potomac will be directly engaged during the festival in three key areas: We will be providing the Color Guard duties for the opening and closing ceremonies, our members established and will be participating in the first Wounded Warrior Highland Athletics demonstration for the Mid-Atlantic region, and, most importantly, we will be providing direct support to the Wounded Warriors attending the festival from our tent co-located with the Wounded Warriors in their reserved festival area.
OUR MISSION & PURPOSE
MISSION: Provide a friendly handicap-accessible camp
environment and therapeutic outdoor activities like hunting
and fishing, LEEK believes in encouraging our wounded heroes
to focus on their abilities, without compromising their current
PURPOSE: LEEK believes in providing a safe and friendly
environment where wounded U.S. service members can assist
each other through the healing process, both mentally and
physically. We offer recreational opportunities
specifically geared to each wounded veterans’ needs and
Like us on FACEBOOK
Over the years, Melwood has supported hundreds of veterans with their efforts to overcome physical, behavioral, and emotional challenges with post-traumatic stress and mild to moderate traumatic brain injury. Melwood Veterans Services LLC (MVSLLC) is a newly formed non-profit organization in the Melwood family of services. MVSLLC grew out of the very successful Operation: Tohidu, founded in 2014 as an experiential healing program for a growing population of warfighters living with post-traumatic stress, mild-to-moderate traumatic brain injury and other deployment-related traumas.
Melwood Veteran Services LLC offers a variety of supportive services for our Nation’s warfighters who return with physical, neurological, behavioral, emotional, and other challenges that impede their ability to reintegrate successfully into civilian life and the civilian workforce. Through this newly formed 501(C) (3) non-profit service organization, veterans seeking assistance with employment, career development and community reintegration will find the resources and support they need to thrive both in their professional and personal lives.
MVSLLC also provides corporate leadership training on the best practices for hiring and retaining veterans with differing abilities in the workforce. Melwood’s longstanding history of employing and training veterans with physical, behavioral, or other deployment-related challenges revealed a gap in employment-related services geared to warfighters in the community. Melwood human resources and vocational support services staff will work in partnership with MVSLLC to implement the appropriate accommodations for veterans, living with post-traumatic stress and other behavioral or physical challenges, who wish to reenter the civilian workforce.
is a 501(c)(3) military and veterans charity dedicated to remembering the service and sacrifice of all military service members, all veterans, and their families, supporting those in need and letting them know they are not forgotten.
encourages you to Remember Our Troops and Veterans…
is active combating stress, PTSD, and suicide among servicemembers and veterans.
provides employment for unemployed veterans and assistance to veterans who are homeless or have fallen on hard times.
works to RAISE AWARENESS in local communities throughout our population, of military and veteran’s issues, and to provide ways for Americans to become involved in supporting our troops and veterans.